Licence 1ère-2ème année Economie - Anglais économique Niveau B1/B2
"The Europe we live in today is the worst possible Europe apart from all the other Europes that have been tried from time to time. No European alliance, empire, commonwealth or community has endured forever, but we should want this one to last as long as it can." Timothy Garton Ash, The Financial Times, December 18, 2015.
Subjects you need to know for the exam at the end of the semester:
1/ The main events in the history of the EU (enlargements, major policy programmes, etc.
2/ The main institutions and what they do.
- Internet sites and on-line texts
- Short video on "How the EU Institutions Function" (8 minutes).
- CNBC video on "How does the EU work?" (5:29 minutes)
- "State of the Union Address by President von der Leyen at the European Parliament", full speech (in French, English and German) in text and video.
- Economist video, "Public Debt: how much is too much?", September 2020.
- CNBC Explains, "What is GDP?", 18 September 2018.
-Anthony Evans, Optimal Currency Areas, 2017.
-Erste Group, "Currency areas: USA vs. eurozone", July 2013.
-Explainity Channel, "European Monetary Union", March 2019.
-Explainity Channel, "European Monetary Union - Part 2", March 2019.
-Alasdair Sandford, "Brexit Timeline 2016-2020: key events in the UK's path from referendum to EU exit", Euronews, last updated 31/01/2020.
- In the news
In the news
- 2020-09-15: "The Guardian view on EU migration policy: past time it had one", Editorial, The Guardian.
- 2020-09: VIDEO "What the Lesbos fire says about EU refugee policy", Ben Hall, The Financial Times, (transcript available)
- 2020-09-08: VIDEO "Turkey, Greece and the dash for gas", David Sheppard, The Financial Times, (transcript available).
- 2020-09-21: Web text "EC president announces 'new European Bauhaus' to help Europe move to a circular economy", by Cajsa Carlson, dezeen. You can watch a short history of the original Bauhaus movement here (with subtitles).
- 2020-09-25: Jean Pisani-Ferry, "Europe's Recovery Gamble", Project Syndicate, Sep 25, 2020.https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/european-union-pandemic-recovery-program-gamble-by-jean-pisani-ferry-2020-09
- 2020-11-18: Rafael Behr, "It was always lost on Brexiteers - but the EU is fundamentally about peace", The Guardian, 18 November 2020.
- 2020-12-01: Daniel Boffey, "Von der Leyen: Hungary and Poland should take EU budget row to court", The Guardian, 1 December 2020.
- Vocabulary and weekly notes
"Can you name the countries of the Europe?" sporcle.
"What is the European Union?", EU Learning Corner.
"How does the EU work?", EU Learning Corner.
"How is the EU relevant to your daily life?", EU Learning Corner.
"What's on the EU's agenda?", EU Learning Corner.
"So you think you know Europe?" tricky Guardian quiz.
"What do you know about the Council of Europe?" which is separate from the EU.